The Nigeria Computer Society (NCS) is about acquiring Ten Hectares of land around the free trade zone of Lekki, along the Lekki Epe Road, Lagos for the purpose of establishing an Information Technology Park. It is about ½ kilometres from the entrance to the free trade zone, close to the new Eleganza factory under construction. Jidaw notes that the IT Park initiative was announced during the NCS President’s Breakfast Meeting held in April 2013.
Lagos State government is planning to build a new seaport and airport in this area, making it a good site in the future for industries.
Jidaw notes that NCS plans to use the acquired land for an IT park that will accommodate IT industries. Once the processing of acquisition is completed NCS will divide the park into industrial plots of 1000 square meters for interested corporate members of the society.
As NCS notes, the nation stands to enjoy the following benefits if we have our IT industries in one place:
- Apart for the existing infrastructure of free trade zone with seaport and airport in the pipe line, we stand to enjoy as an IT Park better power supply from PHCN.
- We as an IT park can collectively have our own alternative power supply (gas or diesel powered generator or turbine).
- NCS through advocacy and good relationship with the government we will draw the needed facilities and infrastructures to the IT Park.
- We will collectively enjoy the economies of large scale by mass and joint importation of required spares for the IT industries in the Park and at the best discounted prices.
- The collective existence of IT industries in the same Park will give us easy access to experts and consultants that will help the industry grow.
- NCS IT Park will make the fulfillment of the requirements of local content easy for all the parties, standards can easily be set and improved upon.
- NCS IT Park can meet the system requirements of Nigeria and even go ahead to export the surplus to other countries and becoming the IT hub of Africa.
- We can even develop the NCS IT Park to the stage of having our own International IT fair like what obtains in Dubai to attract the needed market for our products.
- • Above all, with all this in place the products coming out of NCS IT Park will be cheaper than others.
We are at the pedestal of making this vision come through by keying in to it and supporting the NCS IT Park Project.
Sir Demola Aladekomo, President, NCS also mentioned the following:
- The Park will be built in phases. The first phase will cost about N500M approximately. We believe that in 5years, the IT Park should have been fully built up and businesses in top gear there.
- The N500M will be part funded by NCS and the subscribers who are NCS members
- There are expected challenges in such a big infrastructure project. Challenges are meant to be overcome. The usual ones are Power, Water, Regulatory approvals etc. We shall overcome them. I’m sure NCS is poised towards a making a success of this venture. We believe NCS will facilitate the approval. It may be slow but we trust the Lagos State Governor, BR Fashola to support us
- For the enormous benefits therein, NCS encourages all Stakeholders, Professionals and the generality of the IT industry to be part of this great project.
HAVE YOUR SAY: What do you think about the NCS Information Technology Park? What are the challenges and opportunities associated with such an initiative? Please share your thoughts and opinions.
Innovation and Development Advisory, ICT Advocacy
ICT Development Advisory Support and Consulting