Highlights of the 2013 Nigeria Computer Society (NCS) Conference and Annual General Meeting (AGM) held at Iloko-Ijesa, Osun State, Nigeria from 24-25th July, 2013. Conference Theme: “e-Government and National security”.
Keynote speaker was: Mrs. Omobola Johnson – Minister of Communications Technology
Revealing and well received, the keynote and presentations provided direction and substance, contributing towards making the 11th International Conference of NCS stimulating, informative and memorable
Plenary Session Presenters and Topics
- Ajamu Wesley – CTO & Vice President SWG, Africa & Middle East, IBM Software Group – Topic: Promoting Smart Government & Social Security through Information Technology
- Dr. Adedayo Adetoye – Research Fellow, Cyber Security Centre, University of Oxford, UK – Topic: Resolving & Managing Regional and Global Conflicts: The Role of Information Technology
- Tope S. Aladenusi – Head, Information & Technology Risk, Akintola Williams Deloitte – Topic: Conceptual Models & Standards of eGovernment
- Bankole Olubamise – CEO, Development Information Network (DevNet) – Topic: e-Government for Leadership and Policy Makers – Imperatives for Nation Building
- Patience Akpan-Obong, Ph.D. – Associate Professor, Science, Technology & Society, Arizona State University, USA – Topic: Social Impact of Information Technology
- Taofeeq Olatinwo – Harmony Worldwide Inc., Canada – Topic: Public Key Infrastructure
- Bíólá Fáyemí Founder/CEO, CircuitContext Technologies Inc. Oakville,ON, Canada- Topic: PKI Fundamentals, State of the Art, Vulnerabilities
Networking, Education, Governance and Business
- Sessions, presentations, networking, educational and business activities that included the President’s Dinner and the Governor’s Forum were all designed to move the industry and profession forward. Conference audience was rich and diverse comprising seasoned administrators and Chief Executives, world class academics and researchers, government officials, young and experienced industry practitioners and students.
- Present were Chief Don Etiebet, Former Petroleum Minister, Mrs. Sekinat Yusuf, President, Computer Professionals Registration Council of Nigeria (CPN), Alhaji Ladi Ogunneye, Immediate Past Provost, NCS College of Fellows, Dr. Chris Nwannena and Professor Charles Uwadia, former Presidents of NCS, Chief O. A. Ayodele, former first Vice President of NCS, Mr. Chris Uwaje, President, Institute of Software Practitioners of Nigeria (ISPON), Mrs. Florence Seriki, President, Information Technology (Industry) Association of Nigeria (ITAN), Dr. Abimbola Salako, former Provost, College of Fellows and Dr. Tokunbo Onabanjo, initiator of the NCS North America Chapter. CEOs of Main One Cable (Ms. Funke Opeke), Data Sciences (Mr. Aniekan Etiebet), and Directors of Sidmach Technologies Michael Olajide and Chijioke Eke) were also present at the event.
- Noticeable was the attendance of students and young innovators. Members of the Nigerian Association of Computer Science Students (NACOSS) organized their own events and actively participated in conference activities.
- A highlight of the President’s dinner and Governor’s forum held during the conference was the conferment of Lifetime Achievement Awards on long serving NCS members who have left indelible impact in all spheres of society- Chief Don Etiebet, Mr. Tunde Ezichi, Alhaji Ladi Ogunneye, Professor G. M. M. Obi, Dr. Isaac Odeyemi, Deacon Ojinta Oji-Alala, Right Reverend Adebayo Akinde, Professor Olu Longe, Professor Adenike Osofisan and Mrs Ibukun Odusote. Recipients received their awards from the Chief Host of the Conference, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola – Executive Governor, State of Osun.
- Finals were held for the 2013 National Information Technology Competitions. Essiet Emmanuel Gregory of University of Uyo, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State emerged Winner of the Olatunji Odegbami National Information Technology Competition for Tertiary Institutions, while Olusanya Kenneth and Ogbonmide Tolu of Grace High School, Gbagada, Lagos, Lagos State emerged Winner of the National Information Technology Whizkids Competition (Secondary Schools).
- Two induction ceremonies took place within the conference – for new members of NCS and for new members of the Nigeria Women in Technology (NIWIIT), an interest group of NCS. The excitement and zeal of the new inductees was both evident and infectious.
- The conference also happened to fall on an election year – elections in the National Executive Council (NEC) and the College of Fellows Executives. All elections were conducted peacefully and transparently. NEC elections witnessed enthusiastic campaigns and keen contests. The spirit of sportsmanship was evident throughout. NCS thanks the previous executives (NEC and COF) for their service and achievements. New executives are wished a peaceful and successful tenure.
18th NCS NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL: 2013 – 2015
NCS is a member-driven professional association that is led by an elected council of members.
|Prof.||Adewumi, David O||President|
|Prof.||Aderounmu, Adesola G||Deputy President|
|Sir.||Aladekomo, Demola||Immediate Past President|
|Alhaja||Yusuf, Sekinat||President, Chairman of Council CPN|
|Mr.||Uwaje, Chris||President, ISPON|
|Mrs.||Seriki, Florence||President, ITAN|
|Dr. (Mrs.)||Ilechukwu, Adeola O||President, NIWIIT|
|Engr.||Afolayan, Sunday||President, ISPAN|
|Mr.||Olayinka, Abimbola O||Chairman, Ethics & Discipline Committee|
|Mrs.||Owolabi, Veronica O||Chairman, Credentials Committee|
|Mr.||Awe, Jide||Chairman, Publicity, Events & Trade Services Committee|
|Dr.||Sodiya, Adesina Simon||Chairman, Education & Man Power Development|
|Mr.||Braimah, Moses O||Chairman, Conferences Committee|
|Dr.(Mrs.)||Ejiofor, Virginia||Chairman, Publications, Standard Research & Dev. Committee|
|Mr.||Adeoye, Rogba Elijah||Ex-Officio|
|Mr.||Omoshola, Raphael A||Ex-Officio|
|Dr.||Obiniyi, Afolayan||Ex – Officio|
|Dr.||Ayannuga, Olanrewaju||Ex – Officio|
|Mr.||Chinedu Onuoha||Executive Secretary|
|Mr.||Stanely Okotie||NACOSS President (Observer)|
COLLEGE OF FELLOWS (COF) Executive 2013-2015
Deacon Orjinta Orji-Alala – Provost
Mr. Ernest Aghanenu – Deputy Provost
Mrs. Veronica O. Owolabi – Secretary
Mrs. Florence Seriki – Treasurer
Thanks to Sponsors of NCS Osun 2013
NCS thanks sponsors and partners for their support in making the NCS 11th International Conference held from 24 to 26 July 2013 a huge and outstanding success.
The State of Osun Government, National Information Technology Development Agency of Nigeria (NITDA), Computer Professionals Registration Council of Nigeria (CPN), Domino Information Company Limited, Mainone Cable and Sidmach Technologies all played major roles in making NCS Osun 2013 happen – they stand tall in contributing significantly towards putting Nigeria firmly in the global IT map.