John Tani Obaro, Managing Director, Systemspecs Nigeria Limited has won the 2013 IT Personality of the Year Award. He emerged as the winner of the IT community’s most prestigious award at the annual National Information Technology Merit Awards (NITMA) held by the Nigeria Computer Society (NCS) on December 13, 2013 at the Haven, Ikeja GRA in Lagos. Jidaw notes that his announcement as the winner was the highpoint of the event.
From 1992 John Tanimola Obaro established Systemspecs as the provider of the most widely deployed indigenous human capital software solution (HumanManager) and the most innovative and acceptable financial remittance solutions in Nigeria and West Africa.
The IT Personality of the Year award, also known as the NCS President’s Award celebrates and recognizes individuals whose contributions in Information Technology and related areas have been most outstanding. The world is not waiting for us and we must recognize those creating jobs faster and playing critical roles in the development of a globally competitive, technology driven and prosperous Nigeria. In the opinion of Jidaw all nominees are in fact winners considering their incredible achievements during the year. Finalists of such a high profile award are winners. The nominees are all world class and inspiring.
Other achievers nominated for this highly coveted award in 2013:
• Founding and incumbent Managing Director of Precise Financial Systems Ltd, top developer of software for use in the financial sector
• From 1994 he has grown Precise Financial Systems from an initial starting out capital of about $80 into a multi-million dollar concern with clients in over 30 countries
• Alumnus of the Wits Business School, Johannesburg South Africa and the prestigious Harvard Business School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
• Is a leading icon in software development in Nigeria and a member of the Presidential Initiative for developing the software industry in Nigeria
• Founder and Managing Director of Dataflex Nigeria Limited, one of the foremost Information Technology Solutions Companies in Nigeria
• Has grown Dataflex from a Company of just three employees to one with staff strength of over 100 providing ICT solutions that cut across the length and breadth of Nigeria
• Dataflex was honoured with the HP Partner of the Year for Africa (2011) – The First Nigerian Company to win this award
• Member of the Institute of Directors, Nigeria America Chamber of commerce and sits on the board of well established and reputable Corporate Nigeria companies
• Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Computer Warehouse Group, one of the fastest growing Information and Communication Technology companies in Africa
• Since founding Computer Warehouse Group (CWG) in 1992 he has grown the company to become a Pan-African Multinational Systems Integration Corporation operating in Nigeria and 20 other African countries
• Under his leadership CWG’s annual turnover has risen to about US$120 million, with a staff strength of about 550 professionals
• Guest lecturer on Entrepreneurship in Africa at the Columbia Business School, New York and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston
Jidaw observes that this year’s nominees were chosen not only for their personal efforts but also the tremendous impact their organizations have made in industry and society through IT under their leadership. It is important to recognize and celebrate their values, vision and impact.
Jidaw is of the opinion that the awards are well deserved considering how hard and creatively the nominees have worked to employ technology in driving positive change. We must appreciate technology driven individuals and organizations that foster sustainable, inclusive national development and overall prosperity to encourage such efforts and inspire others.
Award criteria include:
Inspirational and Dynamic leadership, Advancement or application of Information Technology for significant value in society, Local and International Recognition of IT and IT related activities, Significant national impact in boosting IT penetration and driving change through IT, Demonstrable and Significant achievement through hard work, zeal, commitment and devotion and adding value to IT in Nigeria.
NCS members voted through the NCS e-voting platform. Accenture, known for its world class auditing services, confirmed the integrity of the entire voting process.
Congratulations John Tanimola Obaro
John Obaro pioneered Nigeria’s online realtime banking as Head, Information Systems of International Merchant Bank (IMB). He was involved in Integrated Payroll & Personnel Information System (IPPIS) project involving 7 MDAs in which over 12 billion Naira was saved over the 24 month period. Obaro is a member of the Ministerial Advisory Council on Information and Communication Technology and Governing Council of the National ICT Incubation Programme.
NCS has a proven track record of excellent delivery; and is credible, accountable, and results-driven. Jidaw expects John Tani Obaro and SystemSpecs to join hands with NCS and other forward looking individuals and organizations to fulfill enable growth and fulfillment of Nigeria’s promise.