Report on Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCGs) in the Computer Village, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
20 April 2011 – Prepared by Richard Mba, IT Support and Network Engineer at Jidaw Systems
- Flash drives
- Memory cards
- Card Adapters/ Readers
- Blank CD/ DVDs
- Power cords/ cables
- External Hard drives
- Universal Modems
Reasons why these products are fast moving
- Flash drives are small and portable storage devices with sizes/ capacities of up to 16GB (even more), hence making it possible for large volumes of data to stored/ saved within it. As newer flash drives with bigger capacities and more appealing designs emerge consumers move to get them, including those who already own. The prices of flash drives just like many other electonic devices are dropping hence encouraging patronage. A 1GB flash costs N1,200 while an 8GB costs N5,000.
||Furthermore, these products are highly patronized because some flash drives (like LG brands costing N3000 for 2GB capacity) offer antivirus software bundled together with them to protect against malware even before they’re opened for use.
Memory cards just like flash drives, are storage devices that are commonly used but more in phones. They much smaller than flash drives and any other type of storage. With the growing rate of phones in the market there is also a high patronage of memory cards. Their sizes/ capacities range from 1GB to 8GB.
The same logic behind flash drives being applicable here, ie. as memory cards with larger capacities are introduced, consumers move to get the products. Depending the type of memory card eg. SD, Micro SD, XD, MMC etc. the prices can be from N800 (for 1GB Micro SD) to N3000 (for higher capacities/ sizes eg 4GB Micro SD).
- As the demand for memory cards increase so does the demand for their Adapters / Readers by consumers who will be using them with their computers. A card reader cost is within the range of N500 to N1000
- Blank CD/ DVDs are storage mediums that have been in use for a long time and is still preferred over other storage types. They are materials used by a wide range of consumers from software sellers to movie/music producers. Their costs are very low more than any other type of storage.
Another of the reason why CD/DVDs is because they are easily damaged or scratched when not handled properly. A CD costs N100, while DVD costs N200 (the unit price drops when bought in bulk to as low as N50 and N100 for CD and DVD respectively).
- Power cables & Chargers are highly sensitive to voltage surge and power changes, hence, are easily damaged. Also the market is flooded with low quality grades of these products. Their costs are dropping as well. A power cable costs N200, while chargers (for laptops/ notebooks) cost within the range of N1,500 to N3,000.
- Keyboards & Mouse are not repairable and are very cheap so consumers will not hesitate to go for new ones should they develop the slightest faults. Plus as new types (USB Types, Foldable types for keyboards) are users go to get these replacements. The pricing for both keyboards and mouse range from N300 (fairly used types and new PS/2 mouse) to N100 for new ones respectively.
- External Hard drives are becoming common sights around because of the serious competition in their costs. Their portable storage devices like flash drives but bigger. The use of external hard drives is majorly for storage of very large volumes of data especially for backup purposes. Their capacities are high sizing from 160GB to 500GB (or more). With products from big names like Seagate, Western Digital, Sony in the market, the prices range from N9,000 to N18,000 depending on the capacity and brand.
- Phones have over the years become more sophisticated and have come to solve most problems of computing, giving the users the ability to do more. The features of phones which vary from FM Radio, Camera, 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, Video, to Voice over IP add to the costs of these gadgets. Depending the brand (eg. Nokia, HTC, Sony Erricson, Samsung, Huawei, Blacberry etc.) the price can range from as low as N4,500 to as high as N60,000.
- Universal Modems have become popular with introduction of mobile broadband by most Internet Service Providers (ISPs). It has an advantage over modems offered by the respective ISPs because it is not sealed or isn’t customized to work with a particular SIM card. Therefore, the owner of such modem can switch SIM cards depending on the ISP offering the most favourable Internet plan.
- Consumables such as Toner/ Ink Cartridges (selling from N6,000/ N2,000 respectively), Paper (N600 per ream) are fast moving as well.
Hope you find this report useful.