In developing your Information Technology (IT) career, a solid foundation keeps your feet firmly planted on the ground. The best way to get into the building is from the ground floor. Old day, new day, old job, new job? Jidaw asks: How solid are we in the fundamentals?
No matter wherever you may be in your IT career journey, the importance of a solid foundation cannot be overemphasized. So what are these fundamental issues? For a start, passion is the base to build on. We really must be honest in our pursuit of growth. What is your attitude towards what you do? Where is your passion in IT? What drives you? IT should be more than a meal ticket. Stop masquerading “get-rich-quick” as desire.
- Interaction with students who attend training programs and seminars organized by Jidaw clearly shows that the easy money belief is the most unrealistic expectation of many who opt for IT careers. Address this fundamental delusion before it takes root and becomes a hindrance.
- Jidaw cautions that your career issues are bigger and much deeper than the “its-all-about-me”, “its-all-about-the-pay” mindset. Stop allowing shallow perceptions to occupy any space in your mind. A self-centered existence is incapable of creating a fulfilling and authentic life.
- You need PASSION to succeed. The workload is intense and the rate of change in IT is incredible. Jidaw asks again: Can you handle the combination of intensity and rapid change without backbone, without being solid on the ground? What is money without ideas, purpose, or passion?
- Unrealistic expectations belong in the waste bin. Your thoughts and activities should reinforce your excitement about what you do in IT. Is commitment in the equation or is it merely another ritual?
- At Jidaw we recommend that students should make sure the passion for IT burns deep within. New jobs, several years of work experience can only take you so far. Without passion, small hurdles derail and throw us off track. Putting in the effort to develop Java programming expertise will make sense because you are thrilled and convinced about the impact of Java in providing IT and online solutions. It’s about being passionate about IT and having the desire to use IT to excel.
- The person who will stand out must have the energy, enthusiasm, time and mindset that flows from passion. Jidaw agrees that there will be challenges and experiences, but to the passionate person, they are stepping stones and worthy learning experiences. Passion enables you appreciate and buy into the big picture mentality.
- The benefits, learning needs, stress issues, environmental issues and pressure from clients all come with the territory. The fundamental reality Jidaw asks you to accept and embrace is that career growth combines the highs and the lows, the good and the bad.
The question you should always ask is: do you want to stand out in your IT career, go with the flow or just get by? Don’t waste your time, don’t waste your potential, maintain your high energy level. Keep the fire burning. The IT field is a growth opportunity in itself. Passion is about strength in the fundamentals.
HAVE YOUR SAY: How important is passion to you in building your IT career? Which other issues do you consider as fundamental in career development? What are your concerns and challenges? Please share your comments, thoughts and opinions.
Innovation and Development Advisor, ICT at Jidaw
ICT Development Advisory Support and Consulting